Monday, April 29, 2019

Survived the Earthquake

Here are the highlights and pics from our video chat with Elder Holmstead:
  • We had a big earthquake in Borongan this week.  I was talking on the phone with some Elders in another district when I started to feel the earth shake.  The Elders I was talking to asked if I could feel that.  They took cover under their desks while me and Elder Buan ran outside.  It was long...it lasted 30-40 seconds. Everyone was safe and nothing happened to our apartment.  That is the 6th earthquake that I have been in since I was transferred to Borongan.
  • I am in Tacloban for MLC today and tomorrow.  I woke up at 2:30am this morning so we could catch the 4:00am bus.  The bus ride was rough and I was car sick for most of the drive.  But I'm feeling fine now.  We are going to go shopping and do a few things while we are in Tacloban City before our MLC meeting.
  • This week we have District meetings on Thursday and Friday so hopefully we will still have time to do some work in our area.
  • We had lots of investigators come to church yesterday so that was awesome.  We have several that are on track to get baptized at the end of May so we will see what happens.
  • We have two new investigators, named Benji Allera and Emmanuel Celajes,  Please add them to your prayers.
  • I tried teaching someone we met the lessons in Cebuano, but it has been too long since I have spoken that so I struggled bad.  It's crazy how fast you can lose the language if you don't use it.  We will see if I can test out of the Cebuano class at BYU.
  • There is a pizza place in Borogan that serves huge pizzas.  One pizza fed 10 Elders - it was huge!  The cost was about $3 per person. It was the best!
  • One of the Elders in my batch just got his flight plans.  We will be going home the same day.  He will arrive in SLC on July 10th so that should be the day I get home. I haven't seen my flight plans yet, but they should be coming any day now.  My companion lovingly reminded me today that I only have 10 weeks left.
Love you all,
Elder Holmstead

My district at the beach playing frisbee on p-day

One of the beaches in Borogan

The view of sunset from the porch of the Capones home

Some of the Capones kids

The Capones family.  We are teaching Francis (tatay) and May Ann.  This room is their entire house.  The sleep on the mats that they are sitting on.

The daughter of a family in our branch that feeds us every Sunday.  They are the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment