Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Summer in Borongan

Here are some highlights from our video call with Elder Holmstead:

  • We were invited to breakfast by a member this morning.  We had empanadas which are like flat dough filled with meat.  Filipinos don't really have breakfast food.  They just eat anything at anytime.
  • We did a service project at a garden in Tacloban while we were there for MLC.  It was pouring rain all day so we got soaked.  But it was still a good time.  Then we had FHE at the mission home and ate really good food.  It was an Elders birthday and his parents sent some extra money so they went all out on the food.  I had said goodbye to some missionaries from the Sogod zone since I won't see some of them before I leave.  The other Elders were calling me grandpa at MLC because I'm the "oldest" missionary now. We got back to Borongan at 10pm that night so it was a long 2 days of travel.  
  • I had my exit interview with President Argana.  He asked me about my goals when I get home so I've been thinking more about that this week.  He encouraged me to keep moving forward and said if I'm not moving forward then I'm moving backwards.  He also encouraged me to attend the temple often.  I want to be an ordinance worker at the temple when I get home so we'll so how that goes.
  • We had exchanges with the AP's on Thursday.  I went with Elder Murphy and we did some good finding.
  • Elder Pongan, an area seventy, was at our District Conference.  He had just been to St. George so we were talking about what a great place it is.  He was actually super close to my house while he was there.  He was awesome and gave a great talk. 8-10am was the adult session and 10am-noon was the general session.  They hold it all at once because some people have to drive 3+ hours to the church.
  • Ricky and Gemmalyn and MayAnn all came to church on Sunday which was awesome, especially since it was District Conference and not regular sacrament meeting.  MayAnn is still on schedule to get baptized the first week of July so hopefully that will happen.  That would be the best way to end my mission.
  • This week we are going to follow up with Marvin and the Estay family.  The Estay family lives far away...we have to cross a river on foot with our pants rolled up to get there.
  • School just started here in Tacloban.  It's still so hot.  I'm literally sweating all the time.
  • Our mission is getting Smartphones in August.  I'm glad I didn't have to worry about technology while I've been here.
Love you all,
Elder Holmstead
Philippines Tacloban Mission

Me and Elder Lazan

There was a random tank parked in our area so I got a picture with it.

MLC with President and Sister Argana

No comments:

Post a Comment